You can get involved!
Here are ways you can get involved in your community.
- Conduct a poster contest and hang posters in the hallways or in the cafeteria for other students to vote on. The winner gets to ride on the engine during the next parade.
- Ask your teacher about having the Fire Department come in and talk to your class about being a volunteer.
- Do a class report on the need for volunteers, the history of volunteerism (it goes back to colonial days).
- Talk to your teacher about a class field-trip to meet your local volunteer fire personnel.
- Ask your parents to get involved, maybe they might like to be a volunteer firefighter.
- Did you know that you could volunteer at a station by helping out around the station? Even if you are too young to fight fires you can help out with lots of things.
- Local Schools can hold after school programs such as a fire cadet program, have a presence at sporting events and school festivals and/or events.
- Local College campuses can include local Fire Departments into career fairs, sporting events, or school registration periods.
- Copy and paste this and post it on social media: Did you know that North Carolina is desperate for volunteer firefighters? Have you ever considered being a volunteer firefighter? Someone loses their life to fire every 1.8 days in North Carolina, you can make a difference! Visit weneedfirefighters.org to find out ways you can get involved. Whether you are 8 or 80 years old we can all help the cause!